Monday, February 23, 2009

Suffering

I'm here once again, preparing for the wonderfully terrifying task of preaching. The topic I hit this time is "suffering", which is a massive undertaking, so first of all, pray for me. I've been immersing myself into the Sovereignty of God over whatsoever comes to pass and his goodness in all that He does and, although I'm not going to deal with the aspect of biblical manhood in the prospect of suffering or in the midst of suffering, I cannot help but have some thoughts crossing my mind. So I'll blog a little bit in my break.
I really think that one of the most important things Christians have to do is to have a good, solid, TRUE theology of suffering. We have to know our God and his providence. We gotta know him and we gotta know him well. I also think that men have a moral responsibility to have that theology as tight as possible, just as much as we have to have a life insurance policy, for example. If we can have a life insurance policy and we don't, I actually believe it to be sin. We men are called by God to lead, protect and provide and I think that a good life insurance policy hits all three corners of our call directly or indirectly. In the same way, a true, solid theology of suffering will carry us through the sure afflictions of our lifetime. To know our God deeply in your mind and heart will allow you to suffer well. Therefore you'll will lead your family in godliness through the storms of life by word and example. A biblical theology of suffering, will protect your flock ( be it your church or family) during those times when we are most tempted to doubt God's love for his children and the reality of our faith. It arms them against the enemies of their souls trying to snatch their faith, their affections for Christ. It also provides to those lead and protected by you, with the stability they need in their leader. To have a solid theology of suffering that has no connection between knowledge and behavior does no good to you nor to them but if your theology is strongly connected, it will generate a sense of security, enabling those under your care to submit to you out of joy not fear. All we have to do to experience suffering is to live long enough. It will come. Our Lord has said " In the world you will have tribulations..." We have to prepare before it happens so when it does, our God is magnified and his banner flies high as we stand strong in the joy of the Lord.
"There is no sweeter fellowship than the fellowship of suffering."
John Piper
(Paraphrased. T4G '08)

No comments:

Post a Comment